Use this tool to help set water and/or wastewater rates next year by projecting the utility's expenses, revenues from rates, and fund balance for the next few years. Uniform ("flat") and block rate structures for up to 12 rate structures can be assessed. Data inputs are minimal, and the tool has been updated to offer several new features and improvements to make it easier to test scenarios and help determine whether the utility needs to adjust rates in order to achieve financial sufficiency. This tool is designed specifically for small water/wastewater systems and should be used annually. The tool is free to download and use.
How to use the tool:
Follow the built-in instructions to input the utility's current rates and rate structure details, proposed new rates and rate structures, number of accounts, growth rate, water consumption (by block) and basic utility expenses. The model will then project the expected net profit/loss each year for the next few years under current and proposed rates, as well as the end-of-year fund balance for the next several years. Input data in the dark green cells. Results are presented in easy-to-read graphs and table showing annual revenues, expenses and fund balance projections.
On February 26, 2014, we presented a national webinar demonstrating how to use version 2.6 of this tool. Although the format and some of the inputs and outputs of the tool have changed since that version, the demonstration on the basic functions of the tool are still relevant. Watch the video for a visual demonstration on the basics of using the tool, if not the exact instructions.
DashboardConnecticut Water and Wastewater Rates DashboardFri, 02/17/2017
DashboardFlorida Water and Wastewater Rates DashboardMon, 03/19/2018
DashboardMissouri 2018 Water Rates DashboardFri, 07/20/2018
DashboardNew Hampshire 2018 Water and Wastewater Rates DashboardTue, 07/03/2018
DashboardNorth Carolina Water and Wastewater Rates DashboardMon, 02/05/2018
DashboardNortheastern Illinois Water and Wastewater Rates DashboardFri, 02/17/2017
DashboardOhio Water and Wastewater Rates DashboardTue, 03/31/2015
DashboardTexas Water and Wastewater Rates DashboardMon, 10/31/2016
DashboardVirginia Water and Wastewater Rates DashboardWed, 12/20/2017
What's new in version 2.8.7?
- New chart that shows revenues from both fixed and volumetric charges
- Corrected an error with rate calculations in future years for Rate Structure 8
What's new in version 2.8.6?
- Changes default value for uncollected bills to positive values
What's new in version 2.8.5?
- Changes all years to fiscal years
What's new in version 2.8.4?
- Correction to usage calculations for Rate Structure 8
What's new in version 2.8.3?
- Correction to the Compare Monthly Bills graphs to account for consumption allowances and uniform rate structures
- Removed two graphs
- Minor formatting changes
What's new in version 2.8.2?
- User can input projected end-of-year fund balance as well as start-of-year
- Improvements to print areas and minor formatting changes
What's new in version 2.8.1?
- Navigation buttons and labels guide the user through the tool
- Newly-added error notifications help user recognize when rates and rate structure details are entered incorrectly
- You may now adjust rates in each of the next five years (instead of only one year)
- You may now enter up to 12 rate structures
- Rate structures can now be named by the user (e.g. residential water inside, residential sewer outside, commercial water 2" meter, industrial, etc.)
- Specify details on accounts, trends in water use, and uncollected bills for each rate structure
- Block rates can accommodate up to 10 blocks (up from 5)
- Consumption allowances included with base charges are easier to input
- Use dropdown menus to generate graphs comparing the monthly bills at various consumption levels under the existing rates and new rates
- Add revenue needs to build-up utility's reserves
- Add an end-of-year minimum fund balance target
- New graphs revealing projected expenses and revenues under existing and new rates, focusing on next five years
- Improved instructions in calculating water use (sales) by block
- Various bug fixes and improvements to calculations and format, including updated Instructions page
Download the Spanish Version of the Tool (version 2.8.2)