** Please CLICK HERE to open the dashboard in a new tab **
What is the Hawai'i Water Rates Dashboard?
This interactive Rates Dashboard is designed to assist utility managers and local officials analyze residential water rates of Hawai'i's utilities against multiple characteristics, including system characteristics, customer base socioeconomic conditions, and geography. The EFC and the Hawai'i Safe Drinking Water Branch of the Department of Health collected and analyzed water rate structures for approximately 35 service providers in Hawai'i.
July 2016 residential water rates for 35 utilities (39 rate structures) across Hawai'i can be compared with:
- All other utilities in the State,
- Utilities with a similar number of accounts,
- Utilities with a similar service population,
- Utilities in the same county,
- Utilities with the same water source type,
- Utilites with the same water treatment type,
- Utilities with the same ownership type,
- Utilities using the same rate structure,
- Utilities with similar customer income,
- Utilities within 10 miles distance, and
- Utilities within 25 miles distance.
The following measures for the selected utility are compared to key indicators or to the utilities within the selected comparison group:
- Monthly water bill for the selected consumption amount,
- Monthly bill for as % Median Household Income for the community,
- Conservation pricing signal, and
- Ratio of operating revenues to operating expenses (when available).
You can compare the monthly bill charged for any consumption level from 0 gallons/month to 15,000 gallons/month, at 500 gallon intervals. You can also raise rates by up to 100% and observe the (hypothetical) effects on the utility's rates, revenues and rate affordability.
In addition, system financial health and customer demographic profiles are provided for utilities where data are available.